Our lead evangelist in our church, Randy McKean is a huge New England Patriots fan. We know when football season comes around that he is rooting for the Florida Gators and the Pats. Every year we have a "super Sunday" on Super Bowl Sunday. We all wear our favorite team jerseys. This past Sunday was no different than in past years. Randy preached in his Patriots jersey, his wife wore hers as well. Hockey, soccer and baseball were all represented. Our family is a mixed crew. My husband, middle son and daughter are 49er fans and my oldest son and I are Rams fans. I was born and raised in St. Louis. :) It is always fun to see the different groups represented....about as diverse as our congregation which represents about 42 different countries.
Our lesson this Sunday was about how we have "super souls". It was a great lesson and tied well into the theme for Super Bowl. Here are a few of the notes:
10. We have truth. We live in a world where there is good, bad and ugly. Our lives must be filled with the truth that we receive from the word of God in the Bible.
9. We have acceptance. We accept each other as we are...sinners redeemed, because God calls us to. Romans 15:7 - 7 Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
8. We have a listening ear. It is a privilege to have a listening ear to show how much He cares for us and answers our prayers in His time, not ours. James 5:17-18 - Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18 Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
7. We have Godly families. It is a true blessing to have Godly families. Not only in own household, but for children's close relationships as well. We are blessed to have Godly homes for our children to play and Godly marriages to emulate and seek advice from. Ephesians 5:25 - Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
6. We have been given everything for our enjoyment. Be generous. Share what God has given us. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 - Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
5. We have a mission in life. Seek and save the lost. Luke 19:10 - For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.
4. We get great coaching. Proverbs 3 - My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
3. We have power, Holy Spirit power like David to kill lions and bears. Acts 2:38 - Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (thought that was nice how he threw in "lions and bears".)
2. We can overcome giant challenges. Psalm 30: I call for help and you heal me. Psalm 34:17-19 close to the broken hearted. Jeremiah 29:11 plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Psalm 23:6 Psalm 18:35 you stoop down to make me great. Many great passages here to ponder on. Our family has been through many, many great challenges and it is amazing how through our faith in God we have been able to get through. God has also used our challenges, especially the death of our youngest daughter, to help other families in our church, process and heal. To God be the Glory!
1. We have all of our enemies defeated by Jesus. Enemy of satan, Psalm 32:21, they will proclaim his righteousness. Victory is here. He was the perfect sacrifice. 1 John 5:15. Have confidence, be sure. Jesus has done it. Jesus died for our sins so we can live a life of free will and be wiped clean of our iniquities. Let us not take this life we have been given, through Christ, for granted. Lets live the life we were called to live.
Our church, Northern Virginia Church of Christ, meets on Sunday mornings at 10am at Oakton High School. We are a Bible based, Christian congregation made up of all walks of life. We offer many ministries to tend to the needs of the church and community. Marrieds, Young Marrieds, Singles, Youth and Family. We also offer specialized groups like Good Enough Parenting, Chemical Recovery, Marriage Dynamics and Financial Peace. Please check out our website and calendar of events. www.nvcoc.org
If you are in a place that leaves you unsure if God exists or how you feel about God, check out this lesson taught just a few weeks ago by a member of our church who is a MIT graduate and doctor. Check Here!
Come join us!
Mom. Mother-in-law. Chef's Wife. Navy Chief's Wife. Realtor. Christian. Connector. Empty Nester. Business Woman. Foodie.